Sunday, January 02, 2011

When knitting strikes back.

I'm a decent knitter.

Not a phenom, by any stretch of the imagination, but I can do almost anything. I'm also willing to try just about anything - and enjoy learning a new technique almost as much as finishing a new object.

Every once in a great while, however, I run into trouble.

The usual recommendation is to trust the pattern.... which, alas, is much easier than trusting the knitter.

I've been working, off and on, on this gorgeous shawlette by the wonderful Jesh (who IS a Phenom, in my opinion). It is called Misselthwaite, and is constructed in such a way that the edging is done first. A few others in our group have finished it with no issues whatsoever.

Enter the mental block.

I've picked this up several different times - and each time have screamed and ripped it out. (A slight exaggeration on the scream... more like a whimper, but 'scream' makes me sound so much more passionate, no?). I even had the designer (the ever-patient designer) sit on my right hand and walk me through step-by-step.

Today, I picked it up again and knit it somewhat successfully. The qualifier is there because this time I trusted my knitting ability... and began to doubt the pattern. I finished the first section, and although I acknowledged to myself that I was a bit closer than before, I ripped it out. Again.

After tweeting with Jesh (ever patient, ever kind) I was reassured that indeed the pattern was written correctly.... and to my horror realized that I had ripped out perfectly sound knitting.

The only thing left is to knit again. And so it goes....

No comments: